sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Eve (Eve, #1)

Eve (Eve, #1) - Anna Carey I requested Eve by Anna Carey because I'm addicted to Dystopian right now. It's gritty and realistic and as a fan of series like Delirium, The Hunger Games and Divergent, I was eager to get my hands on this hot little ARC. Eve has a good recipe for success: it's post-apocalypse(ish), taking place after a great plague has wiped a lot of man-kind from the planet. It showcases a supposedly Utopian government and believable world-building. The premise of the "after" (post-plague) is quite believable as well: orphaned children are taken to segregated schools, taught to read, write, and learn the arts before supposedly being sent off to the new City of Sand the King has built in the desert. I don't want to say much more than that, because what really happens is a key plot point.But in the end I was a little disappointed. As much as I liked the main character, I also didn't like her. She was whiny and predictable...and weak. I think in a Dystopian world, your main character needs to be strong. Now, maybe she's weak in this first novel of the series so the author can grow her in the sequels, but who knows? Right now, the genre is saturated, so without this key element, I have mixed emotions about it. I was also confused at some of Eve's actions; they seemed out of character for her and that made it a little unbelievable. Why would Eve believe this fellow schoolmate she despises when that schoolmate tells her what the school is really for and then breaks out? Why on earth would Eve, the consummate good girl and model student, follow her? {{{SPOILER ALERT!}}}I also didn't like how she arrives at this camp and falls into the role of a teacher to a bunch of orphan boys. It felt too convenient. And the boys didn't act like any young boys I know. I didn't expect these kids to be savages, but it was not how I would imagine a bunch of rebel boys to act. I was also expecting a love triangle, because I think a relationship could have been developed between Eve and another central character and...well we don't get that at all. We get violence instead and it's left rather open-ended. It's hard for me to describe exactly what actually happens, so unfortunately, I'll have to leave it at that. {{{/SPOILER ALERT}}} The ending was also a bit unsatisfactory, but I'll probably read the next just to find out what happens. There were a lot of strong characters (just not the characters I think need to be strong), and the story is conceptually awesome. This is not The Hunger Games or Divergent, and I think part of my problem with Eve is that I went into it expecting something just as stupendous. But in the end, this is a good read, especially if you are a fan of novels such as Possession or Matched.