sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Everneath

Everneath - EVERNEATH is a modern twist (not a retelling!) on two Greek myths: the tale of Hades and Persephone and the tale of Orpheus and Eurydice. In it, Nikki has Returned from the Everneath, or Underworld as it is commonly known, for 6 months so she can say goodbye to her family and friends before she disappears for good. Had she known what she knows now, after spending a century in the Everneath with her Everliving host, things would probably be different.EVERNEATH is just raw. Everything about it pulls at your feelings and takes you on a wild roller coaster ride (I'll be honest, most of the ride is down) of emotional swings. It's THE book that grabs you and refuses to let go, even after you are done. Ashton executed the emotions of her characters flawlessy in it; I felt the utter bleakness and despair Nikki felt upon her Return and her hope when she thinks she may actually have a chance at defeating the Tunnels (more on those on a sec).I loved Jack, he was the quintessential, all-American dream boy. I don't think we get that enough in stories anymore. And where I initially thought he was dense and obtuse, he wasn't! He surprised me a little in that regard. I also enjoyed the dynamic between Jack and Nikki very much. There was obviously a lot of history between them, wrapped up in a deep-rooted friendship that seemed very hard to break. Oh, Cole. Cole, Cole, Cole. I liked you, but I hated you. I didn't understand you, but I think you liked it that way, didn't you, Cole? Cole was such a dark, bad boy, the kind every girl gets dreamy-eyed about, but honestly, in my head I was always yelling at him to GO AWAY! Is he a villain or isn't he? I can't decide so I will let you be the judge. I've seen authors try to write flashback scenes and fail. Brodi Ashton manages to do it masterfully. I was never once confused because it's laid out exactly where and when we are. The scenes were also dispersed at flawless intervals throughout the novel; it was like watching a movie in my head when the scenes shifted. I enjoyed that immensely. The overall sense of the story was foreboding. I enjoyed the tone of the novel a lot! It was very dark, even when it was hopeful, and I loved how Ashton described the Everneath, especially the Tunnels. The descriptions of being in them actually made me feel claustrophobic, and I think she was going for that. And THE ENDING....!!!!! OH. MY. GOD. I am still blown away by EVERNEATH. What a story! Brodi Ashton, let me bow down to you for a job well done, because...WOW. Please hurry up and write the second, because I don't think I can live much longer without it!