sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Shadow Sight

Shadow Sight - This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog. Shadow Sight is a fun, quirky paranormal read that just leaves you wanting more (which is good, since there’s more coming!).Ivy Granger isn’t an ordinary human; she’s been gifted (cursed?) with a second sight. When she touches people and objects, she sees pieces of their past, although usually with grand mal seizure-like episodes. She thinks that part sucks. Why can’t she just be normal?But that doesn’t stop her from capitalizing on her gift/curse and opening a detective agency with her BFF Jinx, the world’s unluckiest chick. Enter the demon lawyer, Forneus. Forneus, in all his brimstone stench, has been hired by the Kelpies to find their King’s bridle, and subsequently, their King, who has been kidnapped. The fate of the town, and possibly mankind rests on this case and the only person who can really crack it – with some help from demons, fairies, and a juvenile troll – is Ivy. Just what she signed up for.Shadow Sight is just a delightful and fun read. It’s quick to the punch-line and still maintains a level of seriousness – I mean, they really will die if they don’t find the Kelpie King – that is needed in a novel that has the Fae. And oh the Fae! E.J. Stevens doesn’t shy away from incorporating all kinds of magic into Shadow Sight, so there is something new to find on every page. Her descriptions of the different Fae species – and sometimes what they do to humans – is vivid and captivating.And even though the general tone of the novel is somewhat somber – Ivy is on a life-saving mission, after all – Stevens still manages to inject a lot of lightheartedness and fun into the pages with her wit and humor. Ivy herself is fun to read, quick-witted and doesn’t take herself so seriously. She knows the situation she is in is so ridiculous, and she pokes fun at it – and herself – quite a bit. What else can you do, really? The rest of the cast is also an entertaining lot!I really only had one very minor issue with Shadow Sight and when I say minor, I do mean teeny-tiny: there is mention of a spell being cast early on in the story by her witch friend Kaye, that is akin to the Holy Fire of legend. I didn’t know what that was (and I actually never did look it up, I kept on plugging along), so the significance was lost on me.But overall, I really enjoyed Shadow Sight! Stevens is an incredible author with an arsenal of characters and great plot arcs, and she isn’t afraid to use them. I was incredibly and thoroughly entertained from beginning to end and I just can’t wait for the second one to come out.