sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Surrender (Mimics of Rune, #2)

Surrender (Mimics of Rune, #2) - Aimee Laine This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.Aimee Laine delivers a fab follow-up in her Mimics of Rune series with Surrender, the sequel to Little White Lies!If all the mimics in Rune, NC were dogs or cats, Lily Crane would be the runt of the bunch with diminished power and a seemingly meek, albeit upbeat, demeanor. She’s got a spotty past that she guards fiercely, not wanting anyone to know or judge her for it. She’s also young for a mimic – only 61 years old – and she often feels as if she doesn’t know enough about who she is inside, nor this special gift she has, because she was never taught. Little does she know just how very special she is…The plot of Surrender is fast-paced. If you read Little White Lies and Surrender back-to-back, you are delivered a one-two punch that really can leave you reeling, especially when you consider how closely the books tie into each other. In Little White Lies, we followed Charley Randall as a secret FBI operative who uses her photographic memory – and shape-shifting abilities – to help solve cases. In Surrender, we continue with the backstory, following, instead, Lily, who is kidnapped while out on the seemingly benign streets of Rune for her genetics, simply because of her chosen likeness that day. And while she’s been taken away, her best friend – and an interest she’s always denied – Cael, is desperate to get her back.Laine continues to write her characters with a great deal of depth, investing the reader wholeheartedly in their story. Lily, in particular, thinks of herself as very fragile, but I think beneath that assumed fragility exists a very strong woman that needs to find her own strength through knowledge and independence. What’s ultimately the greatest thing about her is her need to show that she isn’t weak, that she doesn’t want to be weak. Everyone just expects that of her and she has this sort of desperation to shed that skin and come into her own, no matter the cost to her. Which also shows how altruistic Lily is. Sometimes to her own detriment…They say that opposites attract and Cael is no exception. Strong to Lily’s weak, he’s her protector and her warrior, but sometimes you have to let the people you love fight their own battles. Demanding and loving, Cael was a great character to get to know better and I am so glad Laine wrote about him more. The two of them together…well, I’ll let you read about it! But I think the best relationships are built on a strong foundation of friendship.The rest of the characters continue to be fascinating…especially as even more were introduced in Surrender and the plot thickened! The history and science behind the mimics was absolutely fascinating and never failed to keep my nose in the book.All in all, this was a great follow-up to the first in the series and I eagerly await the next. And Aimee…can we get more on Maggie and James? PRETTY PLEASE???*This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange of an honest review.