sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Crave

Crave - Melissa Darnell This is a tough review to write. Crave was okay, but it didn't blow my mind. It is almost entertaining and put-together enough to deserve more than 2 stars, but it's definitely not a 3, in my opinion. Overall, it felt more than a little bland, even though it was enjoyable at the same time. Ever read a book like that? Crave is one of them. Savannah Colbert is a freshman at Jacksonville High School in eastern Texas and a social outcast (per the cool kids in school, aka The Clann Kids who were her besties until they all dumped her in the 4th grade). She's not good at anything physical, be it sports, dancing...anything. She lives with her mother and grandmother; her father is distant and seemingly uninterested in her upbringing, and yet still, she flourishes with the friends she does have and the family who loves her. Until she gets very, very "sick" and things begin to change. She begins to change. All of a sudden, boys notice her, she can "gaze daze" them, she can dance (and beautifully!) and she's not so clumsy anymore. Even her father finally takes notice.I had high hopes for this book. The blurb was enticing and the cover is just awesome (I mean, look at it, it's so pretty!). But it disappointed me a little bit (okay, a lot). I think Crave would have been better off written in the 3rd person, because the author shifts 1st person point-of-view between Savannah and Tristan (the other main character and Sav's love interest since, like, forever), to let the reader dive deeper into the mind of Tristan and his thoughts. I enjoyed getting to know Tristan, but overall, I think it compromised the integrity of the story. There were also a few inconsistencies throughout the novel: for instance, there are numerous references that Tristan is a "player" and is always trading in girlfriends every couple of months, however there is no actual proof of that in the book, nor does his character show any signs of that anywhere during the sections where we are seeing things from his eyes. BTW, I really do not like shifting 1st-person POV. I seriously wish books came with warnings: "BEWARE! This book contains alternating 1st-person!" I know I've said it before, but please, authors, why? Why???? *cries*Savannah also strikes me as a weak character. She was very whiny throughout the story, couldn't really hold her own without supporting characters and was generally kind of uninteresting. I actually liked Tristan more, even though he was a little girly for me. I know this is a story about 14-year-old, but it was really stretching it. At one point in the story, Savannah wants Tristan to prove she didn't "gaze daze" him by leaving her alone, then she whines that he isn't interested in her anymore because - HE LEFT HER ALONE LIKE SHE ASKED HIM TO. Are you kidding me? Overall, the story isn't bad. Inter-paranormal species child comes into puberty and drama ensues. I just wish it had been more enjoyable. I've seen others' reviews saying it seemed like a mash-up between other YA/PNF novels and I have to agree. It's part of a series and it was just good enough that I may pick up the second one. That is, IF I'm really feeling it or I've got nothing else to read. But hey, different strokes for different folks.