sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Firelight (Firelight Series)

Firelight (Firelight Series) - This review is originally posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.I’m not sure why I waited to read Firelight as long as I did… clearly I was missing out on a great start to a series!This was my first dragon book and let’s just say, I was impressed! Jacinda was marked early in her life as special; her twin sister was not, and in fact, she never manifested at all. And that’s what the Draki, as they are known, do: they manifest, with special abilities. Jace is a rare fire-breather, the first in over three generations.Because of this, her mother wants to leave the pride – forever – and take the girls with her. She doesn’t want Jace owned by the pride and wed to Cassian, the draki prince. She wants normal for her daughters, something Jace doesn’t know how to be. She bucks at the rules of the pride, but leave forever? Will is a hunter of the Draki, and he comes from a family of hunters. But when faced with capturing Jacinda in the woods near her home, he lets her go. She later runs into him in the dry, barren desert after her mother moves her family out of the pride. Will isn’t who he seems to be, and their burgeoning relationship reminds me of the oft-compared Shakespeare romance. Two people from opposite worlds fall in love with each other and what are they supposed to do about it?(You know, besides suicide.)Firelight was such a great, fast-paced read, I actually finished it in one day. This was my first time venturing into Sophie Jordan’s work (I’m not one for traditional romance novels; they must include other elements, like YA, or Paranormal, or both!), but I was so pleasantly surprised, especially considering the paranormal element. Dragons??? That’s new! Jordan’s world-building was sparkling and well-done; she paints pictures of the draki world with her words, and I completely envisioned the Pride’s town, enshrouded in the mist that contains it from wandering human eyes, and the wheel-shape of the streets that lead to the town center.One thing that did confuse me though: how do they really look when they manifest? I had a difficult time when Jordan described how their faces and bodies changed. Were they really all that different-looking? It didn’t appear to be so, although it’s hinted that humans would not be able to tell a Draki was human, or if they saw a Draki and their human “mask” later, there would be enough difference to not realize it was one and the same person.The characters were all superfab. Jace sometimes became a little whiny, but dude, she got ripped away from everything she knew, and she didn’t want to go. Her mom’s trying to kill her inner-draki, because she thinks she knows what’s best for her. She gets a free pass.Her twin sister is a downright bitch.Her mom really needed to consider that what might be good for herself isn’t good for everyone around her. Hello! Your kid likes being a dragon, okay?!Will, he is of course the super-dreamy boy in all this. Le sigh.I’m still unsure of Cassan. What are his motives, is he like his father? Or is he benevolent?Will’s cousins are descended from the Devil, I am SURE OF IT.Brooklyn…anyone got a Zippo so I really can light this bitch on fire?All in all, I found Firelight to be an outstanding book, and a great voice in the paranormal genre. It’s about time we get something besides vampire, witches and werewolves. I can’t wait to read the next in the series!