sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

King Hall

King Hall - Scarlett Dawn Let me tell you a little story about how I came to review King Hall. I was standing in the registration line for RT 2013, and began talking to the woman behind me. We smirked at a man in a kilt, we lamented at how slow the line was moving, and we talked books. And that’s when she said, “Oh, by the way, my name is Scarlett Dawn.”I replied that it was nice to meet her and asked what she wrote. I was expecting indie and was ready to whip out one of my business cards to promote Indie Author Excerpts, when low and behold, she struck my blood sucker lovin’ heart like a viper (or Ezra), and said, “I write paranormal…well, it’s got everything in it. Vampires, shifters, everything. It’s called King Hall.”So I told her the name of my blog, asked her to look me up and yes, I’d be interested in reading it when it was ready.I’m always a little nervous when things like this happen, because what happens if I dislike a book? I’ve “made friends” with the author, who I usually (as in this case) think is awesome, and now I’m afraid that if I don’t like the book, I’m going to look like the bad guy, or a mean blogger. Let me just hashtag that: #bloggerwoes.Rest assured, my friends. King Hall fawking kicks ass!Scarlett Dawn pulls from every paranormal element to create a crazy-exciting story that leaves you as breathless as it does yearning for more. I never got bored during King Hall, and in fact, the pace kept my eyes glued to the pages. There is danger, there is excitement, there is (the promise of) sex. This is not for the YA crowd, ya’ll. Nope. This is New Adult Paranormal, and Scarlett Dawn lets us know that, with little sexy bits that just tow the line of decency. It was just right for me.The characters were all great. I found them funny (especially the Kings, OMG) and – well I’m not sure what to say. The thing is, the main character – wait, no, scratch that. Let me get into the plot first.The plot was just plain ol’ exciting. You have coms (common humans) and you have Mys (the mysticals), co-existing in the world together. Coms are aware of Mys, and there is an uneasy peace between them, although I would like to know in the future how that came about. In the Mys community, there are 4 rulers (one King or Queen) for each Mys faction: Vampires, Mages, Elementals, and Shifters. Every generation or so, a new quad of rulers is chosen and they must train to rule their people. THIS is where hijinks and brouhaha ensue. And also some tragedies, because you can’t know what happiness is without feeling sad, right? The part where Lily loses someone very close to her nearly broke my heart. I had to set the book down so I could have a moment. Anyway, they are training to become the next rulers, to essentially become politicians for their respective races, and you know, they just may start a revolution in the process…So the main characters really tickled my fancy, because they’re preparing to be rulers, and all they do is make me laugh (or sweat bullets at the sexual chemistry, heeeey Ezra!). They are your typical mouthy teenagers, just with more responsibility, magic and more to lose. The Kings themselves did not seem pompous, but really genuine. In fact, I found all of the characters really likeable. Except Phillip Masterson. I hated that bastard.Some questions I had while reading King Hall:Why can’t the Kings smell Lily’s vampire side?Why are there com terrorist groups bent on destroying the Mysticals? Are we expected to accept that they are just crazy terrorists? Not sure how I feel about that.WHY IS SCARLETT DAWN MAKING US WAIT FOR AN EZRA/LILY GET-TOGETHER? Because that’s gonna happen in book two, right? Right?! RIGHT?!Altogether, King Hall was rock-my-socks and for those fans of boarding school books (April @ My Shelf Confessions, I’m looking at you), you’ll love this. It has just the right amount of e’erything, and I can’t wait to read what happens next.