sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Wither (Chemical Garden)

Wither (Chemical Garden) - Lauren DeStefano Good gracious! The hype surrounding Wither by Lauren DeStefano isspot on. After months of seeing review after review and hearing otherbloggers talk about how great this Dystopian novel is, I HAD topurchase it and read it for myself, because I can't resist a gooddystopia. And OMGoodness did it give me everything I wanted and more. Purely magical, I tell you!In Wither, society has succeeded in vaccinating for every knowndisease, creating a generation that is incapable of becoming ill.They are truly immune to every virus, sickness, and cancer. Theydon't even contract the common cold. They have the perfect immunesystems. So everything is hunky dory, right?Wrong. Their children, and their children's children are unable tolive past a very young age; 25 for males, 20 for females, leaving allfuture generations a very short span of time to, for lack of a betterword, breed. And breed they must, or civilization as they know itdies with them.I LOVED Wither. I loved everything about it: the descriptive andfluid writing style, the characters, the world-building. DeStefanodoes an excellent job in building this future world where we've donesomething incredibly wrong and our future generations are paying forit dearly. It is 100% completely believable, and the author reallymakes you feel as if you can step right into the pages.Her characters are wonderful. Rhine, the main character is unique andbeautiful but still tough as nails and just as sharp. Everything shedoes is with a purpose and DeStefano writes her so incredibly wellthat you can't help but love her.Her sister wives are lovable in their own ways, as well. Jenna, olderand wiser in many, many ways, thirsts for knowledge and lives for theday she sees her sisters again. Cecily is impetuous and demanding butas a reader, you can't help but be exasperated by her and still loveher at the same time, as you would a small child.I even liked the "villains" in this story because DeStefano doesn'tcreate a villain just to have one. Nope, she gives them a purpose inthose pages, a goal they move towards, so you have a hard time hatingthem even though deep down, you really do. She has perfected thevillain. I don't want to name them because if you haven't read ityet, it could spoil it for you.Everything about this book is wonderful and if you havent read it yet(but really, who's left?) you need to. Wither is nothing short ofamazing and I can't wait for her second book in the Chemical Gardenseries, Fever!