sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Hunting Human

Hunting Human  - Amanda E. Alvarez Hunting Human starts out great. Two girls in some dive bar in (what I think was) Eastern Europe on a backpacking adventure. Amanda Alvarez writes a great introduction with lots of skin-prickling and eerie feelings. Fast-forward a couple of years later and you have Beth trying to make her way in Portland and "get over" the events, while working in a small coffee shop. Guy meets girl, guy dates girl, lots of ra ra and then some bow chicka wah wah. I was really excited to get this novel. It's one of my first with werewolves (does Twilight count?), and I expected a lot of violence. Instead, I was confused. Beth and Braden spend a lot of time bouncing back and forth with each other, sometimes on the same page! First they like each other, then they play the cautious role. They sleep together again, but she decides she doesn't trust him. You read about her yearning for him, and he leaves for a week. And this goes on and on. I just couldn't get a grasp of what they really wanted from one another. Hunting Human starts off with a lot of chemistry: dark, steamy, dangerous. But it fizzles and the rest of the novel feels a little dry. I also felt like the author was also leading me off on a tangent with one of the main characters, hinting that he was one of the "bad guys" but doesn't follow through and re-introduces a character who hadn't been seen since the very beginning of the novel. I felt like there was no real character depth. It felt a little wooden to me. And while I don't want to spoil anything for other readers, some things seemed to have been left without being wrapped up, but not in some obvious lead in for a second novel (it seems like there may be one). There was just a lot of back-and-forth for me that didn't make sense. I didn't understand why characters chose the actions they did and other characters seemed to be there as props. Good character development is important to me, so I can identify with them, and understand them. I just don't feel like this had it. The plot was murky and a little unbelievable (even for a fantasy novel). I can really only give this two stars, because it certainly wasn't terrible. It just wasn't great.