sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Twilight Prophecy

Twilight Prophecy - Maggie Shayne If you know me, then you know I enjoy vampire fiction. But like any other reader, it still needs to be good. I'm fairly open-minded; Stephenie Meyer wants her vampires to glitter in the sun, J.R. Ward's vampires only drink from each other and not humans. I can get behind both of those, because both authors are using the power of imagination.Maggie Shayne's Twilight Prophecy is WONDERFUL. She carefully and artfully blends history with her imagination to tell the compelling, riveting story of a race on the brink of an apocalypse, and likely, extinction. These vampires do not glitter in the sun, they do not stalk teenager girls whilst asleep. Oh no, these vampires are real. And they live undetected among you and I, eking out an existence by pretending to be the very people they are not. What I truly loved is that Shayne takes characters, and certainly, villains, from our history and tells us, "They are not what you think." Vlad, the Impaler, for example: he wasn't just your ordinary Romanian dictator from the Middle Ages. Legendary Gilgamesh? Not your everyday Sumerian ruler. You might think it's pretty outlandish to include characters that have a far-reaching history in our world, but Maggie Shayne crafts a story of a race against time & history that is so well done, you just might stop to think that anything's possible. I really enjoyed this story and I can't wait for the next book in the series!