sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1) - L.A. Shaw Let me start off by saying that the plot for The Advice Girl is FANTASTIC. It's rife with intrigue, suspense, violence and romance and it kept me turning the pages. I didn't realize it was a novella, and I was disappointed in that, but only because I wanted more, more, more! Shaw's characters are very realistic, and I can identify with them on complex levels. Shaw's prologue and intro immediately hooked me and I loved the first person narrative initially. In fact, I usually love first person narratives, because they draw me in quickly in a way that I feel like I'm there. But, ultimately, that's where my expectations were dashed, and why I had to give The Advice Girl a 3-star rating. The execution of the narrative was not as well-done as it could have been. There were frequent narrative jumps between first- and third-person, as well as perspective, and those jumps made it harder for the story to read well. I think if Shaw went with either one or the other (preferably third-person, so she could flesh out the jumps in perspective), The Advice Girl would read much smoother. There were also a few grammatical issues, but I attribute that more to the editor and since it was only a very few, they were easily overlooked. But the bottom line is, it was very much an enjoyable read. I do recommend that you pick it up if you enjoy paranormal romance and fantasy.