sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Spellbound (Spellbound, #1)

Spellbound  - Cara Lynn Shultz Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz is an interesting twist on yound-adult, paranormal romance. There is certainly something fun about a book that details reincarnation with an ugly, prophetic curse. Shultz does a good job investing you in her central character, Emma Connor, who has come to live with her Aunt after losing her twin brother, her mother and very nearly, her life. Her life starts over at Vincent Academy (Vince A for short), where she immediately makes friends and enemies. It takes awhile to understand the paranormal element in Spellbound, but it certainly is unique. I won't spoil the book by detailing what it is, because much of Spellbound is wrapped up in that very specific thing, and including that in my review would probably ruin it for you. But that is probably the only unique thing about Spellbound. Otherwise, it draws heavy comparisons to Twilight and Vampire Academy. I bet if I'd ever read Gossip Girl (or even watched the show), I'd be able to compare it to that, as well. How It Compares To Twilight:Emma leaves her home and school to live with another relative and start over. So does Bella.Emma meets a tall, dark handsome classmate. So does Bella.Emma is from a modest background. So is Bella.Emma is humble. So is Bella How It Compares To Vampire Academy:Emma attends an elite, expensive private school. So does Rose.Emma meets a tall, dark handsome guy. So does Rose.Emma has to deal with malicious gossip from her classmates. So does Rose.Emma is in a near-fatal car accident. So was Rose (alright, she technically died, but that is just a pesky detail).I could continue on both tangents, but you get the picture. Overall, Spellbound is a solid book, and there are certainly interesting characters within its pages that I'd enjoy knowing more about. The paranormal element was fun to read about and learn, specifically the passages detailing the history. If you enjoy a paranormal romance (and hey! No love triangle in this one, folks!), you'll like Spellbound.