sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

The Lantern: A Novel

The Lantern - Deborah Lawrenson Wow, what to say about The Lantern? It's a Bestie for sure. It was very suspenseful and captivating and the prose was executed flawlessly. Normally a book with very little conversational tones bores me a bit...I like interaction between characters. A lot of The Lantern takes place in Eve's head, while she tries to figure out if she is going crazy and if her boyfriend is a murderer. But the lack of character interaction was done really well in The Lantern and I kept turning the pages. The French history of the property and the flowery descriptions of the townsfolk and the land were wonderful. Lawrenson literally painted a picture in my mind and I loved every second of it. I really can't go too much into the book without spoiling it, so suffice it to say that it is worth owning in hardback (especially with that beautiful cover!) and the re-readability is high, since I'm sure you'll discover things you missed the first time around and I would imagine finding them would be like finding a little treasure somewhere you've lived a long time. The story-line reminds me of Killing Me Softly by Nicci French, but with a more serious undertone. I simply cannot find one criticism of The Lantern. It was mysterious, a little bit creepy and engrossing and I recommend you read it ASAP!