sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

South of Salem (Allegra Fairweather Mystery #2)

South of Salem (Allegra Fairweather Mystery #2) - Janni Nell When I first picked up South of Salem by Janni Nell from NetGalley, I didn't realize it was book 2 in a series, so I had decided not to read it. I hate coming into the middle of a story arc and trying to catch up on the backstory by gleaning hints from the second. It's a lot of work when I could just read the first, right?Then I read a review that mentioned South of Salem is a great stand-alone. So I bit the bullet and picked it back up.I am so glad I did! South of Salem is a great paranormal story and you do not need to read the first to understand the second. It had great paranormal elements that were intriguing and fun, and overall, South of Salem is witty and snarky. It's a very light read, yet Janni Nell does an excellent job investing you in her story. I also love the sexual tension between Allegra and Casper (can I take him home?), teasing the reader just enough to pick up the third book (should there be one), without being overly explicit. The relationship development is so well done that they're are completely believable, even down to Allegra's sister married to their stepbrother. I just loved it and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys paranormal fiction with a snarky twist.