sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Luck of the Devil (Speak of the Devil)

Luck of the Devil - Patricia Eimer When I was offered to review this book, I grabbed it. Seriously, the Devil's daughters are named Faith and Hope, Faith's roommate is a clumsy succubus, Jesus is a first cousin and "Lou" Lucifer and God are chummy bros. I knew - KNEW - this novel would be full of snark and wit, and I wasn't disappointed. The dialogue was quick, the characters were sarcastic and overall, the whole thing is laugh out loud funny. That's right, folks: L - O - L.The family dynamics really make this entire story. Faith is the youngest daughter of the Devil: half-human and half-demon, complete with retracting horns, wings and tail. She lusts after her hot next-door neighbor, avoids her family like the plague - because they're crazy - and works as a pediatric nurse, trying to "do good." Satan is your typical, over-bearing father, intent on making up for his absenteeism when the girls were growing up, yet somehow makes his opinion of his youngest daughters' "do good" intentions humorously clear.What I really enjoyed was the dysfunctional family-dynamic. Patricia Eimer creates a completely believable fantasy fiction, and writes it well. Despite the interesting set of circumstances that surrounds this story, it could be anyone's real family, complete with lusty parents and sibling rivalry. Her take on Hell in the Midwest is pretty great! I lived in MI for a few years and if that isn't a cold, frozen tundra of hell, then I don't know what is. I'm not sure I liked her reference that the Pittsburgh Penguins are God's team (my being a Washington Capitals fan and all!), but I guess we can't win them all. ;)There is only one thing that makes this a 4-star book instead of a 5: the lack of real emotional depth in the characters. They were fun - and certainly funny - but that's the scope of their range. Hope's despair over her marriage felt false to me and other characters were lacking similarly. I enjoy full characters that evoke a rainbow of emotions in me and these didn't. However, that's not to say this wasn't a fantastic read, because it was! I loved everything else about Luck of the Devil and I can't wait to read more from this author. This is a feel-good book; read it if you have a good sense of humor, don't mind the giddy play on religion and are not offended by playful blasphemy.