sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Blood Oath

Blood Oath - Christopher Farnsworth Blood Oath is an original, exciting twist on a genre that has seen just about everything. Approximately 140 years ago, Nathaniel Cade was an innocent youth, working for a living on a boat, when he was turned by a creature hunting the crew in the night. After committing an abominable act, he's captured and thrown into a holding cell. President Andrew Johnson gives him a pardon, but on one condition: he swear on an oath to protect the United States of America from its enemies....for the rest of his undead life.I really liked Blood Oath. Instead of the usual paranormal fantasies that are saturating the industry, Christopher Farnsworth gives us an intriguing story of a vampire playing a secret agent for the President, protecting us from things that go bump in the night. It's Men In Black meets 24 meets Dracula and it is FUN. The story line is fast-paced, exciting and witty (see my Teaser Tuesday for a great quote). Don't be afraid because this book involves politics; politics play a backseat role in this story and yet make it at the same time. It reads like a really awesome movie (I hope it gets made into one, because I love action flicks!) and I had a great time reading it. Blood Oath is completely unlike any vampire book you will ever read and you will LOVE it. I don't like spoilers, so I won't go into plot twists and details; they are all pretty important. The characters are likeable (or not, in some cases) and realistic; I especially like Zach's cocky I'm-god-turned-omgisthisshitreal attitude. It's an excellent characterization of a pompous, self-important staffer and completely believable. Farnsworth weaves our real history with imagination expertly. Blood Oath is not recommended for the squeamish; it does contain gore, but it's done exceptionally well. So go grab this little gem...you will NOT be disappointed!