sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

The Demon Lover

The Demon Lover - Juliet Dark, Carol Goodman Surprise, surprise, I grabbed The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark because of its awesome cover. I also liked the synopsis, it sounded very...intriguing. The title was a bit of a put off. I'm not a big romance girl myself, unless it's sprinkled in with other genres, and even paranormal romance isn't so much my cup o' tea. But The Demon Lover did sound mysterious enough to captivate my interest and so I nabbed it up. I love the way it starts: the main character is strong-willed and independent, the town she moves to is interesting and seemingly benign, but really it's dark and full of mystery. There is appropriate use of imagery and a enough question marks to make you want to keep reading. Juliet Dark starts this story at a full gallop and I was really excited as I began reading it.But somewhere along the way, the author loses you with meandering plot-lines and story arcs. The Demon Lover is about Callie McFay who has been visited by an incubus for most of her life, only realizing he is real and not just a dream or figment of her imagination when she moves to Fairwick. It is there that she learns she must banish the incubus back to his realm so she can survive in hers. But in the midst of all of this, there are several subplots that the reader gets lost in, and subplots of those subplots...until you forget exactly where you were going in the story. But never fear. Juliet Dark does tidily pick things back up again and craftily completes the book the way it began, while leaving room for the next story in the Fairwick Chronicles. So The Demon Lover is definitely worth a shot and if you enjoy paranormal romance, you WILL like this book. I definitely recommend picking it up and trying it out.