sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen #0.5)

The Abandoned  - Amanda Stevens I absolutely love love LOVED The Restorer and I finally got to read Amanda Stevens' novella, The Abandoned, prequel to The Graveyard Queen series. I'm a huge fan of Stevens' writing style - it's sexy, fluid and darkly beautiful and The Abandoned doesn't disappoint if you love her for that alone. She is an exceptional writer, a magician with words, invoking emotion and thought at her own whim. She is THE Queen of creepy.So while I really LOVED The Restorer, I really LIKED The Abandoned, and let me tell you why: it didn't prominently feature Amelia and Devlin! I know, I know, you get that from reading the blurb, so I did know that going in, but I was still a teeny bit disappointed because I do love those characters and this is a prequel to the series. However, that's the only grumble-factor for me, because I still liked it a whole heckuvalot. I also get what she did here: instead of featuring Amelia and Devlin, she featured the town itself, prior to Amelia receiving the grant, so we get a little back story and a bit of a teaser. And oh does Amanda Stevens tease us - with sleepwalking, more ghostly fingers and passion! Oh the passion! She knows just how to skirt the edge before dancing back with her words, leaving you yearning for more. I really loved the back story to the town and some of the supporting characters from The Restorer. I definitely had an opportunity to get to know them better than before. She also writes Ree and Hayden so perfectly; both are fleshed out and incredibly realistic, especially considering this is a ghost story. In short, if you've read The Restorer, go grab this novella for a quick fix until her second Graveyard Queen book comes out!