sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Broods of Fenrir

Broods of Fenrir - Coral Moore Brandulf Gierson was raised by a bastard of a father, one who beat the females and males around him into submission in order to assert dominance and authority. His ruled with an iron fist until Brand killed him with his sire’s own sword…and then walked away from his destiny: to be King of the Broods of Fenrir, for the wolf who kills the King becomes the King. Except Brand doesn’t want to be King; in fact, he doesn’t want anything but to bow out of the broods and be left alone. Brand manages to avoid brood society for hundreds of years by closing himself off from them, but he can avoid their brutal politics no longer when two women he cares for are threatened and another innocent woman is attacked. At the risk of becoming like his father, he either must become King or let the broods fall even further into chaos, and that’s a chance even he may not be willing to take.Broods of Fenrir is a very in-your-face, somewhat violent shifter novel. It reminds me a little of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but instead of vhampires, we have werewolves. And these werewolves aren’t Jacob, folks, oh no. These werewolves are dominate, big, beastly men who will rip your head right off at just a slight provocation. They have a pecking order and you best follow it. Broods of Fenrir is a heated novel, both emotionally and sexually. Speaking of sex, there is some, but it isn't over the top or really dirty. It was just enough to fit in with the flow of the story. There are three separate plot lines in Broods of Fenrir: 1) a rogue werewolf is murdering innocent victims, 2) Ingrid’s intention to force Brand to into his destiny as King, and 3) werewolves are being killed off or mysteriously disappearing. These three plot lines don’t seem to be integrated with each other (if they are, it wasn’t obvious to me) and I think the book would have been better served with a heavy focus on one, rather than all three. As it stands, the book starts off with a female brutally murdered by a werewolf, then shifts to Brand before finally focusing on the murdered wolves. It felt a bit disjointed, but I won’t say I didn’t enjoy it, because it was definitely intriguing. The world building is done rather well. Moore takes our world and adds her twist of werewolves and makes it completely believable. She even manages to humanize them while still making them seem like beastly, savage creatures. They seemed to hold on to these threads of humanity though sheer willpower, as if any slight or provocation would cause the beast to take over. The desperation Brand displays in wanting to retain his humanity and humility makes him appear to be especially thoughtful and powerful, even though his fellow males in the Brood seem to find that a weakness.The other characters are also engaging to the story: Ingrid is a particular wolf I still can’t quite get my head around. She was absolutely nuts but nothing she did seemed to be without some grand plan in mind. Dagny is a strong-willed character and I liked her a lot. She is a fighter that doesn’t take crap from anyone and she is willing to stand up to the men in the brood. I admired her. Alice struck me as somewhat weak, even though I know the author intended her to be that way. I had a hard time believing her nature just didn’t take over and allow her to be a bit more vicious. Overall, this was an enjoyable urban fantasy. I haven’t read many shape-shifter novels, but I am pretty fascinated with them and Broods of Fenrir did not disappoint me. Coral Moore did a great job keeping the story flowing and the characters interesting and I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of this genre.