sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2)

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2) - This review has also been posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.**Warning: This review contains spoilers from the first book in the series, Divergent.I hope I can deliver a review that is (somewhat) original in thought and idea, seeing as how most everything about this book has probably been covered already.I loved Insurgent…but I didn't love it quite as much as I loved Divergent. In Divergent, Tris is faced with choices and she makes deliberate, clear-headed decisions about the direction her life is taking. She and Four fall for each other, evident in his saving her from being thrown over the edge during her initiation, the small touches they share and the glances they spare each other. They are sensitive and trusting with each other, in a world where that doesn't really exist. But in Insurgent, everything changes. And I felt like those changes caused Tris to make brash, and dangerous, decisions. Very unlike the Tris we got to know in Divergent. Can circumstances change a person that much…and that quickly?If you like a lot of action in your books, Insurgent is full of it, much more so than Divergent, where you really only feel the presence of a threat. Insurgent felt like every other page had a fighting sequence, and there is Tris, kicking ass and taking names. Veronica Roth does a good job making brainiacs into evil, mind-twisted villains. But, in my experience, a villain is never a villain just to be one…so what was Jeanine's true agenda? She was absolutely fascinating to me. I knew she was evil, but at the same time, was she really? What do you think?I didn't like where the Tris/Four relationship went. It made me uncomfortable. I liked the relationship they had before, and this new one didn't sit well with me. But I suppose, in a way, Insurgent was meant to be an uncomfortable book, because it addresses uncomfortable themes, like oppression, war and betrayal. Speaking of the betrayal…THAT blew my mind. As in *poof* and gone. I really didn't see that coming, or think he was capable of it. But I guess…"Faction Before Blood."We found out in Divergent that Marcus beat Tobias so badly, he chose Dauntless to escape him. Jeanine created a killing army for another purpose (I don't want to name it, since it's quite a bit spoilery). And all of this at what cost? So my question to you, those who have read the book, is: does the end justify the means?Speaking of the army, the scene where Tris and Company are trying to get into the school…that was executed perfectly. I envisioned it all in my head, the movements in sync, the falling objects, the violence. I think that scene, above all the rest (besides the ending of course) sticks in my head the most.Once I got to the ending and The Big Reveal took place (ie - the information everyone was after to either destroy or safeguard from Divergent) (btw, also *poof* BLEW MY MIND), I realized how much Insurgent was like a dark mish-mashed version of a certain Jim Carrey movie and one M. Night Shmyalan movie. Those of you who have read the books and seen the movies know which ones I'm talking about. It's a TOTAL GAMECHANGER. This series…it isn't heading where I thought it was, because it isn't what I thought it would be.When an author can achieve THAT kind of twist through not one, but TWO novels, you've won my heart.