sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Red, White, and Blood (Nathaniel Cade Series #3)

Red, White, and Blood (Nathaniel Cade Series #3) - This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book BlogI don’t know about you, but I look at life and I laugh…a LOT. I snort in derision at the news, I find the things others do comical and as you may have guessed, I have a very sarcastic nature. I also like politics, but I’m wary of politicians….and I TOTALLY DIG VAMPIRES. When an author can hit all those sweet spots, they’ve won a fan in me. Christopher Farnsworth has managed to do that through not one, or even two, but THREE novels in his Nathaniel Cade series, and I’d place bets that his fourth will follow right behind (Chris, can you hurry up and write it already?!). It’s as if these books were made for me.Red, White and Blood chronicles the third year Zach Barrows and Nathaniel Cade have been working together in above top-secret capacity to rid the United States (and sometimes the world) of paranormal threats against humanity. Cade, being the oath-bound vampire he is, is sworn to protect the President and his country – and all that entails. Zach, even though he’s in his third year on the job, still catches himself in a state of disbelief – that, you know, his life is THIS F*CKING SH*T. Gone is the simpering, egotistical staffer and in his place is a guy who would just like to get laid once in awhile…Red, White and Blood is just so LOL funny. I mean that literally! The repartee between Zach and Cade is simply unmatched in any other book I’ve read. The best movie duo I can compare it to is Agents J and K in Men In Black. Zach is still as witty and sarcastic as ever and Cade….well I just love Cade. If Zach is in your face funny, Cade’s humor is subtle and understated, so much so that he might be funnier, without even trying. These two men – I’m sorry, scratch that – this man and this vampire are such a dynamic duo, that one is simply less without the other.Now there is a killer stalking President Curtis’ 2012 campaign trail, someone something Cade not-so-lovingly refers to as The Boogeyman. The Boogeyman is such a great character. He is evil for the sake of being evil, and sometimes we just need a Good vs. Evil fight to the death (or….in this case Undeath?) to know what’s right in the world.Farnsworth deftly introduces more characters in Red, White and Blood, while resurrecting a few oldies but goodies (not telling!) who would like to see their vengence fulfilled. He also continues to include the mini-prologues at the beginning of each chapter, something I absolutely love. There is one in particular – rally signs for a political campaign – that had me in such stitches, I had to read them to my stepmother over the phone. I love how Farnsworth can take current events (and even our history) and twist it with his imagination and still make it seem so real. The flashback scenes are so well done that it never disrupts the flow of the book and only aids in the telling of Cade’s story and the plot.If Christopher Farnsworth quit writing books tomorrow, he could take up political journalism. His – for lack of a better word - mockery of American politics is stupendous, and all the while, he’s tossed in supernatural elements and it made the rallies and the campaign serious and funny all at the same time. I can’t begin to describe how much I loved the scenes on the campaign tour buses, or at the events, and all the while, I was nodding along, thinking, “This is absolutely perfect.” It never becomes a political novel, though, so don’t worry if you are someone who avoids things like that. Farnsworth simply uses politics as a means to an end in Red, White and Blood.So now we’ve had: Piecemeal Veteran zombies (Blood Oath) Snake-head virus (The President’s Vampire) The Boogeyman (Red, White and Blood)What supernatural disaster will the author think up next? I impatiently await! The ending…left me speechless. As it will you. Well played, Chris, well played.