sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Divinely Ruined - Diane Alberts This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.Divinely Ruined is a cute story of a broken angel trying to earn her wings by saving a man from committing murder. The idea that an angel needs to pass muster before getting his or her wings was intriguing all of its own accord, but throw an unexpected romance into the mix and I was a little sold on the deal!I originally disliked all the names except for Rebecca’s. The problem with names is one can have preconceived notions about who fits what kind of name (ie – when I read the name Miranda, I could think of no one else but Miranda from Sex and the City, even though I never really watched the show). This is not a fault or criticism of the author, but merely my observation of how much pop culture can influence us. Anyway, somewhere along the way, their personalities molded into their names and all of a sudden, it just clicked for me.I think the author danced delicately around the subject of religion, but I think it would have been really great to see her dive right in, when Rebecca and Anthony discussed the topics about losing faith and whether or not they believe. I think Alberts could have taken it much further with the message to not lose your faith, without becoming preachy.The development of the relationship between Rebecca and Anthony did feel a little rushed, however, given the length of the story, I can understand how it needed to unfold in a certain amount of time. But I think the novella could have benefited from being a full-length novel; I was really interested in the characters and how they developed over time. I wanted to know them so much better and longer than I did.It did feel a little like I was in a vacuum, because there weren’t that many characters in Divinely Ruined. I think there are only five active named characters and one other named character that is only mentioned in conversation, yet still plays an indirect role in the book. I like when secondary characters influence a story and its direction and there wasn’t really any of that in Divinely Ruined, so that was a little disappointing (but not much!).The verbal banter was spot on; I enjoyed the repartee and the sexual tension between Anthony and Rebecca. Anthony as a single dad who needed to “get his” came across loud and clear when he first meets her, and somewhere along the way… Anyway, it was clear they wanted each other, but – given Rebecca’s situation – couldn’t technically have each other, and so the sexual tension just continues to build. Throw into the mix that Anthony IS a single dad and you get a lot of “awwww” and a few “oops!” moments as well to giggle and guffaw right through the novel while Rebecca tries to save his soul. I also loved the role-reversal when Tony has to “save” Rebecca.All in all, Divinely Ruined is a completely heart-warming story of love and second chances.