sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

The Last Rising (Curse of the Phoenix)

The Last Rising  - Rachel Firasek This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.The Last Rising is a sweet and cute paranormal romance that leaves you wanting a little more….and more…and more. And if there is anything to take away from it, it’s that it is never too late for a second chance.Ice is a Phoenix, a woman cursed to rise again and again after each “death” until she finds her heart. In an airplane crash, she sacrifices her life to save that of Turner, a single father of one, who is attractive, charming and witty. When she rises again, she finds herself in Turner’s town, the kindergarten teacher to his son and unable to deny her attraction to him. What she doesn’t understand is how she ended up there, because a Phoenix is never assigned the same place – or person – twice.I don’t read a lot of paranormal romance. I find it to be unbelievable most of the time, because the love story often feels forced and contrived. The Last Rising does not succumb to that fate, however. The love story is simple and well-done, and tinged with enough tension to find it believable.I found both main characters, Ice and Turner, likeable and intriguing. Ice is in a unique situation, being a Greek goddess and all, having fallen for a mortal. Turner is a true Texan, charming, likeable and sweet. It was obvious he cared dearly for his son, who was also charming and likeable. Like father, like son, I guess! The secondary characters were interesting enough to provide background to the story. Each filled a necessary role that was integral to the book.My only real quibble about The Last Rising is the length. I would have liked to have gotten to know the characters a little better and for longer. Fortunately, this isn’t a one-shot deal; it’s the first in a series, so I’ll get more goodness in the next one.If you like the genre and you are looking for a quick, light read, then The Last Rising is for you.