sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Shadowborn

Shadowborn - Jocelyn Adams I anxiously awaited Shadowborn, chewing my fingernails, gnawing on my knuckles, and generally clawing at my iPad in faerie angst (wait…is there such a thing? Well, I just made it up if not). Would it be as good as the first? Would Lila resolve the feelings in her heart for Liam and Nix? Would she rise to the occasion? WOULD THE WORLD COME TO AN END??? These are the questions I asked myself.Oh Oh Oh, Lila. You frustrating woman fae creature, you. You had me up, down, this way and that, not knowing how you felt from one minute to the next. Did you want Liam? Or was it Nix? Were you up to the job of leading your people and joining the courts? Or were you going to run again?I ask myself a lot of questions.Jocelyn Adams took Glass Man and delivered with a series follow-up every bit as enjoyable as its predecessor. The reasons I loved Glass Man: it’s lusty, dangerous and exciting. Lila found herself in Glass Man, while running from the very entity hunting her who wanted to possess her for his own.In Shadowborn, she is the reluctant leader, still wishing she could be something else, but pride forces her to do what she has promised: reunite the fae courts. I really enjoyed Shadowborn; it was an excellent second in a series. The plot was quick and intricate, but not so complicated that you needed a map to follow it. I loved all the characters, both new and old, but especially the elves. Yes, elves! (I love elves). The elves felt authentic, and very like the elves of (dare I say it??) LOTR, in that they were knowledgeable of Lila’s situation but full of elfish riddles to solve her problems. They were appropriately frustrating. Parthalan, aka Glass Man, has become something….else. I sympathized with him on so many levels; I wanted to know more of his mind. The Lila/Liam/Nix triangle continued to tug in two directions, both men determined to have their prize, although at times, it seemed as if one of them had a less than benevolent agenda. I really liked Nix sometimes…he was witty and fun to read. But I also loved Liam; he felt steadfast and true. Sure, he’s the Unseelie King, but isn’t that just a label? If you’ve read it, whom did you like more?I really, really enjoyed the self-discovery Lila had to make in Shadowborn. Not only does she have to figure out how to make peace with her Darkness and her Light (how do you make peace with two conflicting parts of you, and make it harmonious?) but she’s also tasked with uniting the Seelie and Unseelie courts. Except, she never wanted to lead a group of people, and she needs to resolve leading a group of people who might think she doesn’t care about them. Looking inside yourself and addressing your faults takes GUTS.The problem with picking up a new series (if you want to call this a “problem”) is you have to wait for the next book. Sometimes it’s only a few months; others (like the series I’m reading now), it’s two years. You can forget a lot in the span of releases that leaves you feeling a bit lost. First world problems. I think my only problem with Shadowborn is that it was hard for me to remember specific details of Glass Man, so that when something referenced Glass Man, I sometimes had to stop and think really hard about what had happened and dig out the details. I’m not a reader that remembers everything from a book. I remember the basic gist, characters and overall plot. While other readers hate recaps in second, third and tenth novels, I actually like them. It’s kind of like an “oh yeah” moment for me: “d’oh, that’s right, I remember that!” I feel like I kind of need them in my series books to remember everything that happened because so much happens in a series…well, and my memory. Maybe I’m just getting old!That aside, I really loved Shadowborn…and I cannot wait for Rise of the Magi. But unfortunately, I have to, because it releases June 2013! In the meantime, if you haven’t picked up this series yet, you’re missing out and I just feel bad for you. Don’t make me a sad banana, go read it.