sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Deity (Covenant, #3)

Deity (Covenant, #3) - Jennifer L. Armentrout I am 100%, fully, irrevocably invested in the Covenant series now. What began, for me, as a questionable beginning, seemingly too similar to another series I’ve read and enjoyed, has become a favored set of books, books I would throw down with a fireman over, should my apartment catch ablaze and I need to save my worldly possessions (provided they weren’t ebooks and already on my iPad which would already be in my purse as I deftly jumped out my window to safety. Don’t worry, I’m on the ground floor.).Sorry, I got caught up.Jennifer Armentrout has created a world and a love story matched in very few other young adult books. Some would liken it to Rose and Dimitri of Vampire Academy (I do go on and on about that series, don’t I?), because it was epic and spanned across six novels. Armentrout also has the ability to make her reader (or at least ME) bounce back and forth in the love triangle. Am I Team Aiden or am I Team Seth? I thought I knew in the first book, and then I thought I was sure I knew who I liked in the second. Now I just don’t know. Damn that’s some good writing.Deity picks up shortly after Pure leaves off: Alex is back at the Covenant after returning from New York with Seth, trying to get over the trauma of having killed a Pure, and letting Aiden “cover it up.” She’s nearing the day of her Awakening, her bond with Seth is growing stronger, and she feels more conflicted than ever about him, but still maintains her love for Aiden. Compound that with the fact that someone on the Council wants her dead and she’s got herself a little quandary. She is desperately seeking to know who is trying to kill her, doesn’t know who to trust and is struggling between who she loves and whom to which she’s Fated. By the way, she ain’t a fan of Fate.All the characters take on so much more dimension in Deity, more than I thought possible, and this is something I give credit to any author, but I especially give credit to Armentrout for making me like a main character I was ambivalent to in the beginning. Alex has done a lot of growing in these three books, so I can’t imagine what is in store for her next.I also knew there was more to Seth than met the eye, that he was keeping secrets, but the depth of those secrets, and the reasoning behind them (if I’ve even really learned them yet) was somewhat of a surprise. He has a cruel streak in him, but he’s not irredeemable. There is something good in him, if Alex can only draw it out. The small short at the end of Pure from Seth’s POV truly encapsulates his good nature, even if it’s inconsistent and he often hides it.Aiden is without a doubt the rock of these books, never changing, always constant and dependable. In fact, if you look up “dependable” in the dictionary, I bet you’ll find Aiden’s picture next to it. It’s hard for me to like to good boys sometimes, but I do like Aiden, and my fondness for him grew exponentially throughout Deity, although I can’t go into details. Let’s just say he’s the reason for my little Team Love Triangle crisis I have going on in my head.I’m sure you can guess by now that I thought Deity was an excellent follow-up to Half-Blood and Pure. But I wanted to throw… no, wait, I wanted to slug the book (except I can’t, because it’s digital) at someone or something when I reached the ending. Dammit, I was so mad! Unlike other fangirls, because I was very “meh” at the beginning of the series, I did no real research into how many books were in it. I very incorrectly assumed it was a trilogy and thought Alex would be getting her HEA at the end of Deity. I assumed wrong, and Deity ends on a ridiculously awful awesome cliffhanger that left me gnashing my teeth on my knuckles, whimpering because I can’t believe an author would do something so terrible to me like leave me with an ending like that.Oh wait, Karen Moning did it with Dreamfever. Excuse me while I go rock myself in a corner now.