sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Divergent (Divergent Series #1)

Divergent  - Veronica Roth I had to let Divergent stew for a couple of days after I finished it, because it was that good. It is epic, it is fantastic, it is everything you could possibly want in a dystopian novel and then some. Divergent comes to us during a time of political unhappiness and it is speculative fiction at its finest. It is the story of a society under the complete control of a government who has divided itself into "factions": Abnegation, Erudite, Amity, Candor and Dauntless. It takes place in our future, although the year is undetermined. Chicago is gated, Lake Michigan is now a brown marsh, having lost much of its water and a large portion of the Windy City lays abandoned. Divergent is narrated in the 1st-person, by Beatrice 'Tris' Prior, an Abnegation faction citizen. The narration is superb. Roth writes it so well, it felt like I was there, walking (okay, running) along side Tris and experiencing everything that came her way. Each faction has a responsibility to the society; Abnegation cares for the poor and faction-less, as well as runs the council, because they are supposedly incorruptible (I say supposedly because I have my doubts). To be a member of Abnegation, one has to be completely selfless and giving, something I think we struggle with in our lives and society today. Tris has struggled with Abnegation her entire life. When she watches her selfless family members, I think she feels unworthy of Abnegation, or maybe she feels she was meant for greater things, different things. That's probably reader perception. I don't want to spoil anything for you, so I'll tell you that outside of the five factions (all of which are characterized by a single human trait), is a 6th...possibility. That possibility is Divergent. To find out what Divergent is and what it means, you'll have to read the book!Divergent is similar to Matched and The Hunger Games in terms of certain story arcs. There is a choosing ceremony, where 16-year-old citizens get to choose which faction they will spend the rest of their lives in. There is plenty of violence and a questionable government that doesn't tolerate resistance (for heaven's sake, Chicago is fenced in!). Plot twists are executed flawlessly, keeping you turning the pages and I cannot wait to find out what happens in book two (oh yes, it's trilogy!). I am absolutely in love with this book and I want you to be, too! If you don't read this book, your life just won't be the same and I SO MEAN THAT. Pick up your copy of Divergent and let me know what you think!PSA: Have you heard that the film rights were sold to Summit (you know, that little company that brought us Twilight)?