sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Click

Click - Lisa Becker Click by Lisa Becker invites the reader to examine pre-conceived notions on what online-dating is really like and whether you can find your soul-mate through a computer. And it’s f****** funny.Having spent more than a year grieving and eating ice cream over the loss of her last relationship, Renee Greene makes a pact with her long-time friend Mark to get online and try a dating website. What starts as an experiment to get over one man by figuratively getting under another (okay, maybe not quite like that) ends up with hijinks, sexual escapades and innuendos, and hilarious puns that might make someone unappreciative of puns cringe a tiny bit.I love puns.I was initially put off by the format of the story. It is told entirely in emails to and from all the characters, but mainly Renee and Shelley, one of her best friends. There are others in there: Ashley, Mark, and the many men Renee corresponds with on the dating site, and while I grew used to the format, I think it comes as a detriment to the story a tiny bit, because it felt like I, as the reader, was in a bubble while reading it, like I didn’t know what else was going on besides what had been emailed. And since a lot of the emails happen after the action has taken place, it feels like a story about a story, something else I found off-putting as well. There were also some loose-ends with secondary characters I would like to have seen tightened up a bit…namely Ashley and Mark, like more on Mark’s dating, as well as what happened after Renee found out about Ashley. There is a reference in there to dressing West Hollywood Chic….what is that? I think more clarification was needed for those who don’t live in L.A. or aren’t fashionistas (definitely not a fashionista here, ha!), although I suppose I could have googled it.That doesn’t mean I didn’t like it. Because I did, it was hysterical. It took me about 30 pages to really get into it, right around the time she had her first brush with someone very questionable online, and I began howling with laughter. In fact, I laughed so hard and often through Click, I had to pause my reading and reread portions to my boyfriend (whom I met through work, in case you were wondering – my last online relationship was disastrous – oh yeah, been there), who only shook his head. Maybe he just needs to read it. (He doesn’t read).The repartee between the characters in the emails is engaging and LULZY. Guffaws ripped from my throat as Shelley and Ashley casually insulted each other and Renee had to play the go-between. Shelley is a character I found particularly endearing and annoying at the same time. I loved her sense of humor, but damn girl, have some self-respect. She reminded me of the guys who talk so much about sex you know they aren’t actually getting any (although I think she actually was). But I really liked her snark as well as her devotion to Renee as a supportive friend.I think my favorite part of the novel was all the emails from potential dates. SO FUNNY! And so very spot on. Online dating is like a wild jungle, and Becker managed to capture the element of it perfectly in this email format. I highlighted so many portions of the book on my iPad that were just emails from potential dates…from the insecure doctor to the belligerent guy to the guy who likes to have a lot of sex (often). That’s why I also liked the format. It may have been hard to do any other way.The ending didn’t surprise me, and I wish it had, but I saw it coming long before it actually did. I can’t knock for that though, I’ve become discerning at that sort of thing.Overall, I enjoyed Click and I think anyone who likes funny and romance….and lives in the 21st century and owns a computer… should read this.