sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Through the Ever Night

Through the Ever Night - This was originally posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.Second Book Syndrome strikes again.I feverishly awaited Through the Ever Night; Under the Never Sky was incredible, with it’s detailed and beautiful world, and I wanted more of that in the second installment. I also wanted more Perry and Aria. Because who doesn’t?I got these things, but not in the way I expected.Things I Liked:Rossi’s writing is superb. Like usual.Roar. We get into his head a little more and he is so fascinating…and tragic.Roar & Liv, finally!Sable, because he was an interesting character and I look forward to what Rossi has in store for him next.Explanation of the aether. Finally!The interaction between Roar and Aria. It’s so well-done, so natural, that at times you can’t help thinking, what if…?I got to know the Tides much better.I got to know Perry better, too. He’s such a deep, troubled character.I felt like Aria grew into herself as an Outsider a little more, and became less the victim of her circumstances.Things I Didn’t Like:We never get a clear description of what the Still Blue is. I suppose I can guess it’s still blue sky with no aether, but it would be nice to have this described, since it’s supposedly legendary. Guess I have to wait for the next book.Roar & Liv. Damn you for those feels, Rossi.The “Love Triangle.” This felt forced and contrived and not at all necessary to the book. In fact, I would have been completely happy with this series if it was left out completely. I don’t need it every time, in every book.We still don’t get to know what Cinder’s power really is. I guess that’s something else I have to wait to find out in the next book. I’m impatient!The pace felt a little draggy. While the first book starts off this way, it picks up significantly. TtEN felt much slower.Perry and Aria spend a large portion of the book apart, so there isn’t much chemistry. I missed that. I missed them together.Overall, I enjoyed the second installment, just not quite as much as I did the first. Rossi’s writing has a lyrical quality that makes it easy to immerse yourself in, and walk beside her characters. I do recommend this to all Under the Never Sky fans.**The publisher provided this ARC to me in exchange of an honest review**