sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Blood of the Demon (Demons of Infernum)

Blood of the Demon - Rosalie Lario I went into Blood of the Demon thinking I was really going to like it. It had all the ingredients of a good story: a smart, fun main character with an unrealized power, a sympathetic, brooding male counterpart, magic, faeries, and demons. You name it.The storyline was great: Blood of the Demon is quick, witty and modern with humorous punchlines and characters. But for me, it still fell short. There's a lot of dialogue, which I love, and not a lot of info-dumping, which I also like. But I couldn't relate to the main character, and that's something that bothers me. Brynn is likeable and smart...and has a power that she knows how to use but doesn't understand. But when she gets kidnapped by Keegan "for her own safety," she takes it in stride and wants to...you know...do him. I found that pretty unbelievable, because who wants to make wild, passionate love to the guy who just clocked her out cold and is keeping her a virtual prisoner?Speaking of sex, Blood of the Demon has a lot of it. I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but this felt almost like borderline erotica. You, as the reader, will be happily bumping along in the novel when BAM! the word "cock" is bandied about an awful lot, there's a heated scene, and then you're back to the story. I don't even smoke, and I felt like I needed a cigarette after reading some of those steamy scenes. It was as if the author placed "dirty" words throughout the novel in groups, just to have them. That just doesn't work for me; swearing in novels is fine with me, as long as it's used wisely and in context. I was able to pick up on some things right away; others, such as an incident Brynn had when she was 11, we're not given a clue to until it just kind of comes up halfway through the book, and is almost as quickly dismissed. I'm being deliberately vague so I don't spoil it for you.Overall, Blood of the Demon was an okay read. I definitely wanted to know what happened next which is the cornerstone to any good story. But the characters felt weak to me and I couldn't sympathize with them, so without that, it falls flat on its pages.2 1/2 stars for me.