sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Requiem

Requiem - Originally posted at The Bawdy Book BlogAs a much-anticipated conclusion to the Delirium series, Requiem was fast-paced and delivered tons of action. I couldn’t flip the pages fast enough! But it’s not without its faults, and it left me with questions. Like, is there going to be a book four? (I know there isn’t, but….well, I’ll get to that point in a minute). Lena has morphed into some kind of fighter! She is totally bad-ass and she sort of knows it. The girl who jogged through Portland with Hana and looked forward to the day she was cured is gone. Left in her place is a warrior, willing to do battle for the deliria. For love.But I still didn’t feel like I knew her all that well. I knew who she was in Delirium; I knew who she wanted to be in Pandemonium. But in Requiem, I – just didn’t.There were a lot of loose ends that never get tied in Requiem as well. For instance, what happens to Hana? She plays a significant part in the story, being that she is one of the narrators, but then she is just – gone. Who knows where she went? I didn’t. Another key character from Pandemonium is just up and gone as well, but I didn’t really understand what happened there. Sorry, I can’t name names without giving away a spoiler.Alex is also there, but not Alex any longer, and we don’t get much of him in the story. He gets page-time, but it’s not significant and the Lena-Alex story almost doesn’t exist at all. It’s there, but it’s very much just a side-story to the rebellion.Love triangle? What love triangle? The love triangle I thought I was going to get at the end of Pandemonium never truly comes to fruition. And this is a story where the love triangle truly works in its favor. Color me disappointed.Speaking of the rebellion! Lots of action there, so if you love action scenes and people blowing up, pfffff, well, THEN THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU, MY FRIEND. Every other page has something happening on it and somebody’s life is in peril. Sweet! That makes me sound sadistic, pinky-swear I’m not.I would really have liked some follow-up to the story and not have it end where it does. As it stood, where it does end kind of took me by surprise. I tried flipping to the next page, because SURELY that couldn’t be the end, could it? It just drops off. But yes, Jennifer, that’s the end and take from it what you can. So, uhhhh. Okay. I guess I just want to know what happens to the characters – after.Lauren Oliver’s writing is of course stupendous and beautiful and all those sorts of things a great author is good at. I enjoyed reading it for that fact alone, but honestly, the story was good, too. I was just expecting a bigger ending from the build-up of Pandemonium and in reality, it sort of deflated like a leftover balloon from a party two weeks ago.Should you read it? Absolutely. It was still exciting and I would recommend it to everyone, and especially fans of the series.**This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange of an honest review. I was not compensated for my opinion.