sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits - Originally posted at The Bawdy Book BlogAfter reading Easy, I felt the need to feel more feels. I needed the feels, craved the feels, developed a longing for the feels like a druggy develops a bad habit. And Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry gave me the feels in spades.Echo and Noah are both attending counseling sessions, albeit for different reasons. Noah is a product of the system: he lost his parents in a house fire years ago, and is now in foster care…without his brothers. He’s rebellious, he’s derisive, and he’s broken. All he wants is to get his brothers back and unite his family, even if he seems to go about it all the wrong ways.Echo comes from tree-lined upper-middle class streets in the same community and she is far out of Noah’s league. Plagued with a weird first name and a dead brother – AND no recollection of a day that brought her to the hospital two years ago, nor the scars that cover her body – she just wants to feel normal again. She has no idea how to obtain it, especially while there is still a restraining order against her mother and her dad is shacked up with her former babysitter, who is pregnant with his child.Their worlds collide when Mrs. Collins, their perky, quirky and delightful counselor brings them together: Echo is required to tutor Noah so she can earn money to restore her deceased brother’s dream car, and Noah needs to get his grades up so he can graduate and get his brothers back. Both of them see it as a necessary evil.Let me just say, Noah’s and Echo’s stories are tragic. We begin sort of knowing Noah’s story, but we only learn Echo’s piece by piece, as she struggles to remember the events that led her from popular girl to “freakshow.” Both complement each other very well, and as “opposites attract” go, their chemistry is both sweet and scorching. And while Echo’s struggle is to remember, Noah’s struggle is to let go. Both are equally painful and hard to do, and it’s charming to see the two of them learn to like – and then love – each other, and move on despite their painful histories.Character BreakdownsEcho is heart-breaking in her desire to remember and her equal desire to forever stay stagnant in the moment. She doesn’t really want to remember until she does, and her internal struggles were painful to read. She’s also delightful as a character, because she has that sort of self-deprecating sense of humor that only dysfunctional people can truly have.Noah is heartthrob worthy. He’s rebellious and a trouble-maker that, at the first sign of a girl who needs him, shows his true colors. He doesn’t really want to be a rebellious teenager, but if the shoe fits, right? Clearly family, and love, are important to him. He just needs to figure out how it all fits together.Biker Chick Beth and Isaiah are Noah’s “roommates” and best friends. They are what best friends should be: loyal and honest to a fault. And clearly in love with each other, at least in one direction. I can’t wait to read Beth’s story.Lila is Echo’s best friend and confidante. Every girl needs a best friend like her, and it’s great to read about supporting BFFs in YA where there is no claws or cat-fighting, because this is as a true friendship should be. Every girl deserves a friend like Lila.Luke is a douchecanoe.Mrs. Collins had me smiling more than once! It’s not often than someone is simply made for their job, and she was the perfect fit for the role of counselor. Full of sarcasm and wit, she was able to juggle the teenagers and their attitudes quite well, and lent them the grace to handle their troubles without feeling ashamed. I wish more kids had someone like her in their lives.Pushing the Limits gave me all kinds of feels, and I adored it. Bravo, Katie McGarry.**I received this book as a gift from a blogger and as an ARC from Netgalley. My review is honest.