sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Double Click

Double Click - Lisa Becker Click was a really fun novel, and unique, because you don’t see much fiction that delves into the topic of the perils of online dating. I had high hopes for Double-Click, because I had expressed a desire to know more about the other characters, like Mark, Ashley and Shelley.But I don’t think this book lives up to its predecessor. While Click was light and funny, with email exchanges going back and forth between the characters that often made even me blush, Double Click felt like it tried too hard to be funny, as if it needed to be as humorous as Click to be good enough. There were other things I struggled with as well, such as Mark already being together with a girl who isn’t perfect; I’d have liked to have explored that journey with him, since in Click, he struggled with his need for the perfect girl. I think we are just supposed to accept that he’s grown that much in between the novel, but I didn’t like the assumption.The characters also lost some of their vibrancy for me: since Renee is no longer telling stories about trying to find The One, the plot felt a little disjointed, even though I did figure out that the point of the story was Shelley and her journey to romance. (I mean, finally girl!). But since Double Click features one friend getting married and having a baby, another deciding to get married and the third moving to a new state to be with their honey, it overall left me wondering who the story was actually about, or if Becker just gave Click fans an encore for those who wanted to know what happened after Renee found her The One.But that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy reading it. It was nice to find out what happened to all of them. Shelley was just almost as funny as she was in Click, even though she seems to have tamed herself (admittedly, this disappointed me, because she’s so damn funny when she’s being a rampant slut-monkey). Renee spent the bulk of her time telling childhood stories via email, which are hysterical and just unbelievable – how do these things actually happen to people? – , and Ashley did as Ashley does: deliver compliments and lovely torpedoed remarks in her own left-handed way. I like Ashley.I think Click fans will enjoy reading this (because I did like the follow-up myself), but your mileage may vary.This review is also posted at Nerdhuffing.com. I received this book in exchange for an honest review.