sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Abandon (Possession, #3)

Abandon (Possession, #3) - Elana Johnson *howls* the turmoil that is this book! I want to cry myself to sleep now. Edit: Real review time.The review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog.If there was ever an epic conclusion to a dystopian series, you’re looking at it right here. I was a heap of a sobbing mess when it was over and I may never recover!**This post may contain spoilers from the first two books**Stay tuned for the blog tour post going live tomorrow!Raine is in Freedom under the control of her father. Gunner is with the rebels. Vi, Zenn and Jag are also with the rebels and trying to devise a way to bring down Freedom – and the Association – while saving Raine, Cannon and the rest of the rebels and citizens who are not with the Association.Abandon is fast-paced and quick in a don’t-blink-or-you’ll-miss-it kind of way. We’re totally immersed in the story now, there’s no turning back. Traitors have been outed, more questions are asked of our favorite characters, especially Zenn, who struggles internally with what he thinks is right. Zenn and Jag are in the forefront now, leading a rebellion hell-bent on bringing down an entire government.I actually struggled with this a little bit. Where are the freaking adults already? Kids are not able to do this by themselves.Anyway, that question does get answered, but I was never fully satisfied with it.Zenn’s internal struggles are very front and center in Abandon. This novel is more about what he is going to do than anything else. The Association wants him – bad. He has power, they need power. But he has this urge to do what he thinks is right. Only, what is that exactly? I loved his struggle, and I also loved that as an insider, he had tips:Insider Tip #1: Always do what the boss says. This is how you gain trust.Insider Tip #7: Suspect everyone. Trust no one. When things go wrong, assume someone has tipped off the enemy.So as an insider, who is he really fighting for? Elana Johnson left me guessing which side he was playing for up until the end.Vi and Jag are more interesting in Abandon. Vi has gained back what she lost, and she’s learning she has new powers, but at what cost to herself? Jag is resolving how to deal with this new side of her, and oh yeah, he also feels more betrayed by his best friend Zenn than ever. I think Jag has expectations of other people that are way too high often times. And frankly, he pissed me off a lot, but in a good way, because I know Johnson meant for him to piss me off. I forgive you, Jag.The love triangle does get resolved, but it left me gnashing my teeth in frustration and sadness, mostly sadness, because the outcome was shocking and not what I would have thought would happen. Johnson, you are a brave woman.Let’s talk the ending. This one thing happened and I sobbed hard. I mean, hard. I can’t believe it happened and I was a big ol’ mess at the end. The ending is the entire point to this whole trilogy: how far will someone go to fight for freedom, for the ability to choose their own meals, their own mates, their own ways to live? I know I would do anything for the ability to choose for myself.Overall, I think Abandon is a fantastic conclusion to the series, and Elana Johnson leaves room for more books, with the way it wraps up. All the shiny tech was fascinating and I loved the determination of the characters to fight for choice. That’s my kinda book.