sunshinejenn03

sunshinejenn03

Possession

Possession  - Elana Johnson This was a great book, very captivating and intriguing. It embodies the dystopian genre perfectly: oppressive government control under the guise of benevolent agendas. The story is big on labels, which fit it well: you have the Goodgrounds and the Badlands. Those in the Goodgrounds are "Good" and those in the Badlands are "bad" (obviously). And then there is Freedom, a separate province that trains the Thinkers of the Good society. That's where this book is interesting; the government is so completely in control, they do your thinking for you. Thinkers are powerful and control everything. They can even intrude upon your thoughts and wishes, communicate with you and erase your memories. And that's where and why I think this book is interesting. That you aren't safe even in your thoughts, in your own head, is scary and sad, especially when citizens don't question it. The characters were a bit weak. There is a lot of back-and-forth between Jag (a Baddie), Vi (the protagonist) and Zenn (Vi's Goodie boyfriend who works in Special Forces). The name Zenn for a Goodie character isn't lost on me either...I found the irony in his name pretty witty. But I was fully prepared to give Possession a 3-star rating because the characters don't carry the book all that well. There are also a number of what seem like narrative jumps, where I had to backtrack to figure out what was going on and who was telling the story. It led to a little more confusion than I would have liked. However the plot in the second half of the book saves it and brings it to a 4-star read. Be prepared for plot twists, this book is full of them. The ending is bone-chilling and I am looking forward to the next book in the series!